Friday, October 31, 2008

Sinners and Jonathan Edwards (by Peter Brock)


I have just recently begun reading Jonathan Edward's sermon, "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God", for the first time. I'm only two pages into the sermon and have already been deeply challenged. By all accounts, when Edwards preached the sermon on July 8, 1741 his delivery was careful and controlled so as to appeal to the minds of the hearers and not their emotions. His text was Deut. 32:35. Below is just a portion of the sermon. Hopefully it will whet your appetite to read more of the sermon from Edwards.


"There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God. By the mere pleasure of God, I mean his sovereign pleasure, which is not hindered or restrained by anything. It is only the sovereign will of God that preserves the life of the wicked person. Nothing else preserves the wicked for one moment except God's mere will."

No comments: