Monday, November 19, 2007

Pilgrim's Progress 3

Good morning and welcome to our online book study of Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress. For more information regarding this study click HERE. Also, remember that we are going to discuss the book according to the various stages detailed HERE.

Before we begin today I want to share with you a link which has been very valuable to me in our study. Click HERE to read the Wikipedia article concerning The Pilgrim's Progress. This site has a lot of information as well as links to other sites.

We have come to Stage Three of Bunyan's book. If you recall, last week Christian visited the Interpreter's House. Stage Three begins with Christian setting out from there and resuming his journey.

Christian comes to the Cross. As he does so, his burden falls from his back and rolls into the sepulchre. What a picture this is of our sin being swallowed up by the death of Christ. Christ took our sin with him to the grave. Notice Christian's sobering comment here, "He hath given me rest by his sorrow, and life by his death."

The Three Shining Ones appear. They tell Christian that his sins have been forgiven and then they give illustrate the doctrine of justification for us. They remove his filthy rags and give him a new coat. His new raiment is a picture to us of the righteousness of Christ which is imputed to us at salvation. They also set a mark upon his forehead and give him a roll which proves to be his assurance of salvation.

We learn more about Christian's new coat later when he converses with Formalist and Hypocrisy. He says, "Surely, think I, when I come to the gate of the city, the Lord thereof will know me for good, since I have his coat on my back - a coat that he gave me freely in the day that he stripped me of my rags." So it is with us. When we come to that city, our Heavenly Father will know us because we will arrive dressed in the righteousness of Christ which was freely given to us when he stripped us of our sinful rags.

Did you notice the high value Christian placed upon the roll that was given to him at the cross? He viewed that roll as his assurance and even refers to it as his "evidence" of what had happened. When he realizes that he has lost it, he immediately retraces his steps and doesn't not stop until he has found it again. How many people there are today that earnestly and fervently search for assurance!

Another highlight for me was when Christian is talking with Watchful, the porter. Watchful asks his name and Christian replies "My name is now Christian, but my name at the first was Graceless." What a descriptive name! All of us were once named Graceless. I praise God that He has chosen to show grace to me.

I also found encouragement in Christian's conversation with Prudence. Prudence asks if he can remember how he overcame some of the carnal annoyances that creep into his life. In other words, how does he fight sin. He replies, "When I think what I saw at the cross, that will do it; and when I look upon my broidered coat, that will do it." Let us take this reminder to heart. Let us remind ourselves of the cross. Let us look upon Christ's righteousness which has been imputed to us. Let us flee from sin and carnality.


Your Turn
Obviously, I have left out so much from this Third Stage. This was one of the longer stages we have read so far and there are many things in this stage that I didn't even mention. I simply pointed out some of my personal highlights. Now it is time for you to share with us some of your highlights. Share how this section encouraged you or challenged you.


Next Week
Next Monday, we will discuss the Fourth Stage: Valley of Humiliation, conflict with Apollyon, Valley of the Shadow of Death, Giants Pope and Pagan.

No comments: